The CDF Freedom Schools® program is an educational and cultural enrichment program. Our program provides summer options for children where there are none and strengthens parent and community involvement in the year round achievement of children. We serve children ages 6 to 14 for six weeks and integrate reading, conflict resolution, and social action in an activity-based curriculum to promote social, cultural, and historical awareness.
LifeWise STL is searching for Servant Leader Interns who will deliver a summer reading enrichment program for children from kindergarten through tenth grade. Servant Leader Interns are responsible for facilitating an integrated reading curriculum to a classroom of approximately ten students for six weeks during the summer months.
- Deliver the Integrated Reading Curriculum to a class of no more than ten students for 6 weeks during the summer months, according to the standards developed by the Children’s Defense Fund and LifeWise STL.
- Set up and break down his/her classroom space, including securing and organizing the appropriate materials.
- Collaborate with staff to establish and maintain a supportive and structured environment for the children entrusted to their care.
- Serve as a Harambee! Leader each day of program operation.
- Serve as a leader of afternoon activities and other special events; chaperone field trips.
- Attend three weeks of staff training and participate fully in the virtual National Training beginning May 21, 2021.
- LifeWise staff partner with individual and group volunteers, who provide over 25,000 service hours to the organization annually. As such, the successful employee will work collaboratively with organizational leadership, co-workers, volunteers and colleagues from within and outside the organization to deliver and support holistic, client-focused programming.
- Other duties as assigned.
- This position is scheduled Monday through Friday 7:30am-4:00pm. It has the potential to be either all in-person or all virtual. Must be available to start work in May. Required virtual training from May 21 – May 27.
Preferred Experience and Qualifications:
- Must have completed one-year of college level courses in good standing
- Ability to create lesson plans
- Be creative, energetic, innovative and resourceful
- Ability to assume responsibility
- Ability to motivate students
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Good verbal and written skills
- The willingness to be respectful of all types of diversity
- Interest in and ability to work as part of a team
HOW TO APPLY:
Please send a resume, cover letter and salary history to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject line, please write “Servant Leader Intern.”