The CDF Freedom Schools® program is an educational and cultural enrichment program. Our program provides summer options for children where there are none and strengthens parent and community involvement in the year round achievement of children. We serve children ages 5 to 15 for six weeks and integrate reading, conflict resolution and social action in an activity-based curriculum to promote social, cultural and historical awareness.
LifeWise STL is searching for Peer Counselors who will assist Servant Leader Interns to deliver a summer reading enrichment program for children from kindergarten through eighth grade. Peer Counselors are responsible for guiding a classroom of approximately ten students to participate successfully in all aspect of the program for six weeks during the summer months.
• Assist in teaching or leading activities as needed or as assigned
• Assist in the set-up and break down his/her classroom space, including securing and organizing the appropriate materials.
• Collaborate with staff to establish and maintain a supportive and structured environment for the children entrusted to their care.
• Serve as a Harambee! Leader each day of program operation.
• Observe children’s behavior, assess its appropriateness, enforce appropriate safety regulations and emergency procedures; apply appropriate behavior management techniques
• Attend all staff meetings as required
• Assist in enriching programming during
• Maintain good attendance and have reliable transportation
• Other job duties as assigned by supervisor
• LifeWise STL staff partner with individual and group volunteers, who provide over 25,000 service hours to the organization annually. As such, the successful employee will work collaboratively with organizational leadership, co-workers, volunteers and colleagues from within and outside the organization to deliver and support holistic, client-focused programming.
Preferred Experience and Qualifications:
• Must be at least 16 years old
• Previous camp or childcare experience essential
• Be creative, energetic, innovative and resourceful
• Ability to assume responsibility
• Ability to motivate students
• Strong interpersonal skills
• Good verbal and written skills
• Ability to accept guidance and supervision
• The willingness to be respectful of all types of diversity
• Interest in and ability to work as part of a team
This position is scheduled Monday through Friday 8:30 am – 3:30 pm. Must be available to start work on June 1, 2020. The last day will be July 24, 2020.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please click here to download application. Email completed application to Misti Johnson at email@example.com or mail to LifeWise STL, Attn: Misti Johnson, 1321 S. 11th Street, St. Louis, MO 63104.